Thursday, September 13, 2007

Saint St.Augustine
















So the SSAR has been traveling around spreading the word.Recently, we went down to St.Augustine Florida the nations oldest city. We installed our "Revival" and I think we may have converted a few more souls for the cause. I like St.Aug. It’s small and charming, close to the beach and across the street from the river it’s totally surrounded by water.


I arrived two days before the opening. The rest of the ministers were there installing the gospel. I called John and he said they were at the beach. George had a kayak in the ocean riding waves. I followed my map quest direction to the gallery, The Gallery at Screen Arts. I liked this side of town, It was like cabbage town meets the west end and everyone was nice and on a bike. I saw the why did the chicken cross the road joke play out before my eyes.The answer is to get to the other side. Rob the gallery owner came out and we got introduced around and he is the nicest gallery owner dude ever.


In back of the gallery is a sign shop, John and I were about ready to loose our minds at all the possibilities of the machines. My faves was a die cutting machine that started up like an engine. It was old school technology I called it the Willy Wonka.

Thrown before me was a huge pile of vinyl symbols that I recognize and new what was up, a site specific vinyl installation. We did two and they were FRESH!!!One was at least 20'x15' or bigger the other in that range too. After a couple of hot afternoons and one late night of hanging, we decide to go out.

First dinner at A1A, Im not a fan of this place even though the food was good. To put it simple they ran out of grits for my shrimp and grits. Thing is the server waited until the other food was up to say "We are out of grits". After dinner we walked the historic beach town looking for trouble. We found nothing. After a couple stops at what seemed to be a town full of piano bars we decided to go back the first bar we saw that night. Matanza ,which means "blood river" was playing. This bar was a real hickish redneck bar full of lively beach types and seemed to be the local jam. Scott hated it and we made the best of the social scene. I liked it because soon as we hit the door and get a drink, the familiar sound of home graced my ears. John knocked over a beer bottle and on the crashing queue the band tore into Skynards Sweet Home Alabama. A huge smile on my face and I danced the jig with the locals.

The next day was the opening and the show was received well. The gallery owner always buys Rap Snacks for the show and we learned that Master P snack was going to be harder to get because of distrubution.We bought all the store had and that was funny. A Honda Mini van full. Like Atlanta there are lots of biking white negros or "hipsters" according to wikapedia.They came to the opening and showed some love. It was all good and I could feel the spirit and the souls being saved.There was talk of an after party. We got directions and headed over the bridge to the "Pool House" so we heard, but it was the "Poo House" and there was a few kids sitting around looking stupid. I quickly cracked a joke and mad a true "I'm too old for this and this aint even a party" and we left off to Denny’s for breakfast,mean while some puke breathed hipster chick was trying to go with us but we superman'd on that oooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I was under the strange hold of the THUMP and almost got us into a fight with a local band that thought we were a band trying to play on there turf. "who is the lead singer he kept saying,as if to say I challenge you.We laughed and insulted the sucky band (Oneday Better)and ate our food. Rob said you should be One day at a time.I don’t remember much but we woke up in hotel rooms, we couldn’t drive I guess. Thanks for driving Rob.

The next day we go to a movie and Rob the gallery owner takes us out on his boat. We cruise around the water scene looking for dolphins and manatee. Wind whipping my dreadlocks, I finally felt relaxed for once. I love the water. We stay out until dark and get dinner and drinks on the lake. It was super nice. Starring at a L.A. style pop surreal KrK Ryden piece, Mark Rydens brother, I drift off thinking of our Southern Revival and how cool it would be to do an install in L.A. and Miami at Basel.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

st. augustine is definitely one of a kind. for good and bad.